How do I tell if a relationship is abusive?
In a healthy relationship both partners treat each other with respect.
There are a number of signs of domestic abuse. Answer the following questions honestly to work out if your partner treats you with the respect you deserve. Your partner:
- Lets you feel comfortable being yourself?
- Is willing to compromise?
- Is not jealous or possessive?
- Does not try to control what you wear, where you go or what you do?
- Does not physically hurt you?
- Does not emotionally hurt you (by calling you names, threatening you, making you feel bad)?
- Tries to resolve arguments and conflict by talking honestly?
- Enables you to feel safe being with them?
- Respects your feelings, your opinions and your friends?
- Accepts you saying no to things you don’t want to do (like sex)?
- Accepts you changing your mind?
- Respects your wishes if you want to end the relationship?
When someone cares for you, you feel safe and respected and free to be yourself. You shouldn’t be made to feel scared, intimidated or controlled.
If you have answered ‘no‘ to any of the above questions, you could be in an abusive relationship and may want to speak to someone.
If you are being abused and would like to talk to someone ring our Helpline number: 0118 9504003.